Blog Archive

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Missing the Mark


I lift myself out of bed, go through all the personal hygiene and fortification procedures, and make sure my pants pockets have all the bare essentials; pocket knife, folding knife, large handkerchief, car and house keys, chap stick, lighter, eye glasses, small flashlight, spare  battery, , wallet with ID, credit cards, cash, insurance card, a few business cards, family photos, a couple of band aids, and a flat, lighted magnifying glass. No bulk, perfectly streamlined.
Then I pick up my bow, my arrows and my quiver.
Okay I am ready for any targets that want to jump out at me.
I step outside of my house and into my backyard where I have three targets set up. For hours on end I practice sometimes hitting the hale bales that I have the targets attached to. Sometimes missing the hale bales completely and either impounding arrows into trees or burying the arrows into the ground around and in back of the hale bales. After 100 arrows have been flung at the elusive targets, I finally say enough is enough and go pick up all of my arrows weeping that my hit percentage is 0.
Where am I going with this you may ask? What does it take to be a good Archer in life?  We are missing the mark in our lives big time especially when we do not take the time out of our busy lives to sit down for 15 to 30 minutes of quite time with God and God alone. No other distractions, nothing at all to interrupt you. The word Sin is very closely associated with the word Harmatia which is “term developed by Aristotle in his work Poetics. The word hamartia is rooted in the notion of missing the mark (hamartanein) and covers a broad spectrum that includes ignorant, mistaken, or accidental wrongdoing,[1] as well as deliberate iniquity, error, or sin.[2] In Nicomachean Ethics, hamartia is described by Aristotle as one of the three kinds of injuries that a person can commit against another person. Hamartia is an injury committed in ignorance (when the person affected or the results are not what the agent supposed they were).[3] In tragedy, hamartia is often described as a hero's fatal flaw.
How exactly can we straighten up our aim so that we can consistently hit the mark in life? Simple, spend more time with God. It’s that easy.
Keep watching and waiting for our Lord’s coming

No comments:

Post a Comment